At N1 we go to extraordinary lengths to ensure all our food products are of the highest quality and meet the most astringent safety regulations. We achieve this by being both HACCP and ISO 9001 certified – these are internationally recognised, science-based and quality management systems that guarantee that the highest standards are adhered to and maintained on an ongoing basis. While our customers are aware of our safety measures, we felt that in light of the recent Listeriosis outbreak, we might reassure everyone that the utmost care is taken to ensure our food remains the safest and best quality meat in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
In brief Listeriosis is a bacterial disease caused by the Gram-positive, rod shaped bacterium, Listeria monocytogenes, and it is usually spread through the ingestion of contaminated food products. Listeria usually results in gastro-enteritis. Symptoms are normally mild and may include fever, myalgia, malaise and sometimes nausea or diarrhoea. In at-risk patients, spread of infection to the nervous system can cause meningitis leading to headaches, confusion, stiff neck, loss of balance or convulsions. The incubation period varies and can be between 3 – 70 days.
The main preventive measure is to always ensure that good basic hygiene is followed – in your own private capacity this includes using only pasteurized dairy products; thoroughly cooking raw foods from animal sources, such as beef, pork or poultry; washing your hands before preparing food, before eating and after going to the toilet; regularly washing and decontaminating kitchen surfaces and utensils, particularly after preparing raw meat, poultry and eggs; and washing raw vegetables and fruits thoroughly before eating.
At N1, to ensure that the highest hygiene standards are met, we are meticulous in our approach:
- We have a Food Safety Management System (FSMS) based on HACCP principles that ensures we provide food that is perfectly safe for human consumption and does not contain any pathogens including Listeria.
- We have a cleaning and sanitation program incorporated into our FSMS which ensures that all areas and equipment are cleaned with SABS approved chemicals.
- We have temperature monitoring programs that guarantee that all products are produced and stored at the correct temperatures.
- We have a sampling monitoring program which regularly swabs and tests products, equipment, staff hands, water and drains to ensure no harmful pathogens are present.
- We have a supplier management program where we constantly monitor that all products received are safe, and that their products fully comply with the strictest specifications.
- We also have a personal hygiene program which regularly trains and monitors all employees to ensure all hygiene measures are implemented and maintained from start to finish.
- Should you have any further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us. But rest assured that we will always take every precaution to ensure that our products are of the safest and highest quality at all times.