We may be in the business of supplying the best quality meat in Cape Town and Johannesburg, but it’s no secret that we love our food trivia and we’re always on the lookout for weird and interesting food facts – so here’s the latest that we’ve added to our treasure trove.
- When tomato sauce was first made in 1834, its creator, Dr John Cook Bennett, advertised it as a medicine that cured all kinds of ailments.
- The pineapple is actually a group of berries fused together.
- Because it’s so scarce, the wasabi that you’re eating is probably not the real thing, but actually coloured and flavoured horseradish.
- The strawberry is the only fruit to wear its seed (there are around 200 of them) on the outside.
- Sardines may be regarded as a single species, but there are actually 21 different types of halaal fish that can fall into this category.
- The average ear of corn has an even number of rows – normally 16.
- Fear of cooking is actually a thing – apparently quite common, although it can take different forms; it’s officially called Mageirocophobia.
- Chicken soup was believed to be an aphrodisiac back in the Middle Ages.
- Honey is the only source of food that contains nearly everything we need to survive – antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, even water.
- The fruit with the highest water content is watermelon at 92%, and the vegetable is cucumber at 96%.
- The teabag was invented by accident at the start of the 20th Century – a tea merchant sent tea leaves to clients in small silken bags and the recipients erroneously assumed they were supposed to submerge the entire bag in their teapot.
- The earliest evidence for soup goes back to 6000BC and it contained hippopotamus meat.
- There are nearly 7,500 varieties of apples and more than 8,000 varieties of grapes grown throughout the world.
- A cluster of bananas is called a hand – it consists of between 10 to 20 bananas, individually called fingers.
And last, but not least, there are said to be almost 19 billion chickens on Earth – they outnumber us by nearly three to one, and we eat around 100 million tons of poultry each year. There, now wasn’t that fun. For more interesting foodie facts or for the widest variety of quality meat Cape Town, contact South African meat wholesalers, N1 today.